Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Locating media tapes for Importing

2008-09-05 16:38:59
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Locating media tapes for Importing
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Jackson, Todd" <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2008 15:26:09 -0500
On Fri, Sep 5, 2008 at 2:46 PM, Jackson, Todd <c-todd.jackson AT invitrogen DOT com> wrote:
I need to locate some media tapes that has data that expired. I need to import
the data back into the catalog. How can I locate which media tapes the data was written to previously?

Is there a way to list which tapes a client has written to that may have expired?

Unfortunately the data is in the catalog and that was cleaned up when the images expired.

If you have Aptare StorageConsole, you'll be okay if the data was written directly to tape - StorageConsole holds old records and they're trivially to find.  If the data was written to DSSU and then destaged, it's going to be a challenge for you.  I don't know if other backup reporting products can give you the same data.

You may be able to restore an old copy of the catalog data from before the images expired and then list from that.  Not going to be trivial though.  How sure are you that you haven't already overwritten the data?
    .../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org