Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Disc Staging Area Full

2008-08-27 09:53:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Disc Staging Area Full
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 2008 08:38:13 -0500
On Tue, Aug 26, 2008 at 7:41 AM, Martin, Jonathan <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com> wrote:
I run several scripts that manually prune my DSSUs and DSUs of unwanted
images.  Forget the catalog, just run bpexpdate with the image switch
and use the <server>_<image num> directly on any file you find on the
drive.   Make sure you drop the extension.  All my scripts parse the
directory directly, I don't even bother querying the catalog first.  You
will get an error something like "entry does not exist" if you try to
expire an image that does not exist in the catalog.

There's an issue with this approach.  If you have an image on disk only, it's copy 0.  If you have the image on both disk and tape, the disk is copy 0 and tape is copy 1.  Therefore, if you don't query the catalog and delete copy 0, you could delete an image that has not yet destaged.  That's probably not desirable behavior.

With older versions of NBU,

Try this script (for NBU 6.5.x)  to show you what's really happening on a DSSU (watch for line wraps):

[root@osiris bin]# cat validate_image
#!/bin/sh

usage() {
    echo "usage: `basename $0` storage_unit_path"
}

if [ $# -ne 1 ]
then
    usage
    exit 1
fi

cd $1
for BACKUP_ID in `ls -1 *.info *.img | sed -e 's/_C.*$//' | sort | uniq`; do
    copies=`bpimagelist -backupid $BACKUP_ID  2>/dev/null | awk '/^IMAGE/ {print $21}'`
    if [ -z "$copies" ]
    then
        echo $BACKUP_ID not found in catalog
    else
        if [ $copies -eq 1 ]
        then
            echo "$BACKUP_ID waiting (copies=$copies)"
        else
            echo "$BACKUP_ID destaged (copies=$copies)"
        fi
    fi
done