Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

2008-08-22 16:54:21
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?
From: Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com
To: "Nardello, John" <john.nardello AT wamu DOT net>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2008 15:33:36 -0500

I got a response from my Symantec rep, and here's what he said:

"It was just a warning. If you are using ACSLS access control, you need to make sure that all the NBU media servers in the NBU media share group have the same ACSLS access permissions on the media in the ACSLS database.  Kind of obvious, but it’s actually been a minor issue in regular NBU running without media sharing."

If it's this simple, why couldn't that have been put in to the manual? Anyway, I'll be implementing this feature in the next week or so and will report back on how it goes.

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS ▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693
Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪ http://availability.sungard.com/
P Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Nardello, John" <john.nardello AT wamu DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

08/13/2008 11:27 AM

<Rusty.Major AT sungard DOT com>, "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

I could see some problems if your ACSLS setup has watch_vols going (all tapes are not visible to all servers automatically). Enabling Media Sharing across all media servers could then open the door to NetBackup requesting a tape mount on a server that can't actually see that tape maybe.

Not something I've seen, just a possibility.

- John Nardello

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu; veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

I was just looking over this last night, and was surprised it's not on by default....

I also ran across a statement in the guide that said you should use caution with ACS libraries, but I could not tell why you needed to be cautious. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks,

Rusty Major, MCSE, BCFP, VCS
▪ Sr. Storage Engineer ▪ SunGard Availability Services ▪ 757 N. Eldridge Suite 200, Houston TX 77079 ▪ 281-584-4693

Keeping People and Information Connected® ▪
http://availability.sungard.com/
Think before you print
CONFIDENTIALITY:  This e-mail (including any attachments) may contain confidential, proprietary and privileged information, and unauthorized disclosure or use is prohibited.  If you received this e-mail in error, please notify the sender and delete this e-mail from your system.

"Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

08/06/2008 09:55 AM

veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
cc
Subject
[Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

I'm finding that I'm vaulting quite a few partially used tapes, because
each tape can only be written by the server that owns it, and I have 7
media servers.  The new media sharing option in 6.5 looks like it would
help to optimize the tape usage, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried
this out yet?  I checked the knowledge base and there are several bugs
related to media sharing that are fixed in 6.5.2 (which I am using).
Just a bit nervous to enable this in production.  I'm also wondering
where a shared tape is mounted for a restore...is it based on the server
that the image was written on, since there would be no overall tape
"owner"?  We use alternate restore server options quite frequently, so I
don't want to break that.

Any comments on media sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan