Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Calendar Schedules over Midnight & 6.5.2 issue

2008-08-21 21:33:16
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Calendar Schedules over Midnight & 6.5.2 issue
From: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT Embarq DOT com>
To: Jorge Fábregas <jorge.fabregas AT gmail DOT com>, "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 20:21:45 -0500
The single most important thing to remember with calendar based backups is that
after midnight, it's a new day....

So consider these scenarios:

You have a backup job which kicks off every Friday, and the backup window opens
at 6PM and closes at 6AM the following day.

The job queues, starts and finishes before midnight. You will get a Status Code
0 (Successful Completion)

The job queues, starts and finishes well after midnight. You will get a Status
Code 0 (Successful Completion) because the job started during the allocated
backup window. Only starting a job matters with the window, not how long it
runs... except in the next two cases.....

The job queues, starts, runs into an issue and re-queues itself, starts and
finishes before midnight. You will again get a Status Code 0.

The job queues, starts, runs into an issue and re-queues itself except this
time doesn't get to start until after midnight.... Here is where the Retries
Allowed after Runday checkbox comes in.

If that box is checked, then the job will start (provided it is not outside the
6AM close of the backup window) and you will hopefully get a Status Code 0.
If that box is NOT checked, then your job will exit with a Status Code 196 (Job
Not Attempted because backup window closed) regardless of the backup window
closing at 6AM because with the calendar backup, the job can only run on the
day its assigned to... unless that little box is checked.

Hope this clears things up a bit.