Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Most recent stable release?

2008-08-21 16:48:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Most recent stable release?
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
Date: Thu, 21 Aug 2008 15:31:19 -0500
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 2:24 PM, Rosenkoetter, Gabriel <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz> wrote:
Ed, I don't see where what you've quoted states that, nor do I see it stated in the relevant documentation myself. The only discussion of 5.x I see at http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/264767.htm is under the points specific to NetBackup 6.0 ("A 6.0 master will work with 5.1 and 5.0MP1 (or later) media servers.  NetBackup 5.0 Maintenance Pack 1 or later is the minimum required version for a 5.x Media server in a 6.0 environment. See TechNote 278153 for additional details.")

Have you tried yourself and found this limitation?

Nope - we don't keep our master and media servers that far apart with releases.

The text you quote explicitly avoids mentioning anything below 6.0, but you're saying it applies to prior releases...?

That's the way I interpret it but I could be wrong.  In any case, if you read 290141 that you referenced earlier, it says:

Upgrading 5.x media servers and clients to 6.5.x is an optional step, although it is strongly recommended.
NetBackup 5.x media servers are supported in a NetBackup 6.5.x environment. However, clients that are
upgraded to NetBackup 6.5.x cannot be backed up to NetBackup 5.x or 6.0 media servers. In addition, 5.x media
servers and clients will not be supported in the next major release of NetBackup. Therefore, it is recommended
that you update all 5.x media servers and clients to NetBackup 6.5.x to avoid compatibility issues.

5.1 has also reached its end of standard support.  You could certainly try a 6.5.x master with a 5.1 media server, but you're pretty much on your own if you do and you can't back up clients that are newer than 5.1 (remember that media servers have to be at a release newer than the clients).

   .../Ed