Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Media server installation

2008-08-18 14:09:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Media server installation
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Clausen, Matt R [EQ]" <Matthew.R.Clausen AT embarq DOT com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2008 12:36:04 -0500
On Mon, Aug 18, 2008 at 12:14 PM, Clausen, Matt R [EQ] <Matthew.R.Clausen AT embarq DOT com> wrote:
Sure it does... he just said they were SCSI connected to the 3rd Media Server.

That's the key question.  I read his note to say that they were connected to the 2nd Media Server but he wants to write to them via the 3rd Media Server.  If I read it correctly, he can't do what he wants.  If you read it correctly, you're right and my answer was wrong.

We need to know *which* media server those 4 new drives are physically connected to.

So that being said, he would need to create a third robot instance which is defined as a remote robot and it would have the drives indexed as follows:

TLD(2): Remotely Controlled by Media Server #2:
Library Drive Index 1: Media Server 3 - Drive #1
Library Drive Index 2: Media Server 3 - Drive #2
Library Drive Index 3: Media Server 3 - Drive #3
Library Drive Index 4: Media Server 3 - Drive #4

So when NetBackup executes a job requiring usage of Media Server #3, it knows the robot is controlled by media server #2 and that the drives are controlled by media server #3. This robot can then be added to Storage Unit groups or policies, etc....