Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)

2008-08-08 19:27:32
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Shared Stroage Options (SSO) with Vitual Tape Library (VTL)
From: spaldam <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 19:13:45 -0400
Quantum uses a variable block size for their dedup, which they claim gives them
a much higher de-duplication ratio.  If you multiplex, the "natural boundaries"
that quantum looks for get chopped up and that lowers the effectiveness of the
de-duplication.

As for having problems with SSO and physical tape drives, I've talked to people
about that myself, and have seen problems with it too.  99% of the time, it's
fixed with firmware upgrades on the tape drives and/or the HBA's.

When I first started using the Quantum DXi's, I had problems when trying to do
multiple reads, that might ( and I stress might ) have been caused by SSO, but
after a firmware upgrade I haven't see any problems (so far).  It seems to be
working fine, and the only good reason I've heard for not using SSO with it so
far, is concerns about unnecessary complexity within the environment.  I
however, think the extra complexity will help our environment obtain higher
performance.