Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks

2008-08-08 12:38:49
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 11:11:01 -0500
On Fri, Aug 8, 2008 at 9:53 AM, Mark Glazerman <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com> wrote:
I agree 100% that as a matter of urgency, Symantec should have distributed the technote much earlier than they did once they identified this issue.  I hope that there were not too many other admins who had to go through the same stages of disbelief that we did when faced with backups that never errored out but also didn't actually back up any data !!

The potential levels of exposure for NBU customers worldwide is mind boggling and really shouldn't have ever happened.

Bugs will always happen.  Critical bugs will happen with a product of this size, and sometimes they'll be missed by the QE group (shouldn't, but hey, they're human too).  How a vendor responds to those bugs differentiates the good ones from the bad ones.  In this particular case, Symantec dropped the ball.

I am just thankful that some of the Symantec engineering team also subscribe to this mailing list and that they were able to make a fix available so quickly.

Some the Quality Engineering folks and product managers are reading the list too...  We're not complaining about the engineering on this - although we would have liked for the bug not to have happened in the first place, all we're asking for is that if a data loss bug is acknowledged, customers get notified as quickly as possible.

   .../Ed
Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org