Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks

2008-08-08 11:12:05
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ZFS Filesystem Backups - Tips and tricks
From: "Mark Glazerman" <Mark.Glazerman AT spartech DOT com>
To: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>, "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>
Date: Fri, 8 Aug 2008 09:53:26 -0500

Ed,

As Phil and myself have proved, there are backup admins out there who have no idea that their ZFS filesystem data is unprotected.  Not everyone has the opportunity to test restores and it’s only through sheer luck that we’d been given a server to use as a test box about a week before I made my discovery.

I agree 100% that as a matter of urgency, Symantec should have distributed the technote much earlier than they did once they identified this issue.  I hope that there were not too many other admins who had to go through the same stages of disbelief that we did when faced with backups that never errored out but also didn’t actually back up any data !!

The potential levels of exposure for NBU customers worldwide is mind boggling and really shouldn’t have ever happened.

I am just thankful that some of the Symantec engineering team also subscribe to this mailing list and that they were able to make a fix available so quickly.

Mark Glazerman

Desk: 314-889-8282

Cell: 618-520-3401

P please don't print this e-mail unless you really need to