Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

2008-08-06 18:26:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?
From: "Scott Jacobson" <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
To: "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 16:14:24 -0600
I also was interested in media sharing until I read the part that is was not recommended in a ACSLS environment.
I'd also like to take advantage of minimizing the number of tapes I use when duplicating which has increased by 10% since moving to 6.5.1.

If anyone can share their experience with ACSLS and media sharing, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Thanks,
Scott

>>> "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com> 8/6/2008 9:40 AM >>>
I'm finding that I'm vaulting quite a few partially used tapes, because
each tape can only be written by the server that owns it, and I have 7
media servers.  The new media sharing option in 6.5 looks like it would
help to optimize the tape usage, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried
this out yet?  I checked the knowledge base and there are several bugs
related to media sharing that are fixed in 6.5.2 (which I am using).
Just a bit nervous to enable this in production.  I'm also wondering
where a shared tape is mounted for a restore...is it based on the server
that the image was written on, since there would be no overall tape
"owner"?  We use alternate restore server options quite frequently, so I
don't want to break that.

Any comments on media sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan