Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?

2008-08-06 11:54:28
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Anyone using media sharing in 6.5?
From: "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2008 11:40:18 -0400
I'm finding that I'm vaulting quite a few partially used tapes, because
each tape can only be written by the server that owns it, and I have 7
media servers.  The new media sharing option in 6.5 looks like it would
help to optimize the tape usage, but I'm wondering if anyone has tried
this out yet?  I checked the knowledge base and there are several bugs
related to media sharing that are fixed in 6.5.2 (which I am using).
Just a bit nervous to enable this in production.  I'm also wondering
where a shared tape is mounted for a restore...is it based on the server
that the image was written on, since there would be no overall tape
"owner"?  We use alternate restore server options quite frequently, so I
don't want to break that.

Any comments on media sharing would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Bryan