Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VCS and VCB

2008-08-05 13:58:53
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VCS and VCB
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 12:34:51 -0500
On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 10:43 AM, guitarnate2000 <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> wrote:
We are working on upgrading VM's and the newer version of VCB will utilize the Volume Shadow Copy service on Windows Vista, 2003, and 2008 servers.   Will this cause problems with Veritas as VSC used to cause problems and failures on backups in the past such as not cleaning up log files and filling the OS drive until no disk space was available.

I know that i can disable vsp in netbackup but have you guys seen anything that could be a deal breaker?

I think you're confusing VSS with VSP.  Veritas Snapshot Provider is the problem and it shouldn't be used on Windows 2003 or later.  VSS, the Windows Volume Snapshot Service, is the replacement, and support for this comes from Microsoft.  There are patches for this, but in general this works well.

.../Ed

Ed Wilts, RHCE, BCFP, BCSD, SCSP, SCSE
ewilts AT ewilts DOT org