Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Drive Multiplexing

2008-07-29 08:33:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Drive Multiplexing
From: Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz AT lucidpixels DOT com>
To: Jeremy Finn <jeremy.finn AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2008 08:19:22 -0400 (EDT)

On Tue, 29 Jul 2008, Jeremy Finn wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am trying to achieve the streaming of five mount points on an HP-UX client
> to one LTO-1 tape drive.  I have run into a strange issue though.
>
> If I set multistreaming to five, and multiplexing to five, I see each stream
> as a job in the activity monitor. However, NBU is breaking up each mount
> point into five streams - not what I want. I want one stream for each mount
> point.
>
> Symantec support has instructed me to turn off multistreaming in the policy,
> and leave multiplexing set to five. When I do this, there is only one job in
> the activity monitor for the client, and I cannot verify that I am
> multiplexing the mount points to the tape drive. Also performance is not
> what it should be for this backup, running at 13 hours instead of the five
> or six I would normally expect for roughly 420 gb of data.
>
> My environment looks like this:
>
> Master = SPARC / Solaris 10 / NBU 6.0 MP4
> Media Server = PA-RISC / HP-UX 11.11 / NBU 6.0 MP 4
> Client = PA-RISC / HP-UX 11.11 / NBU 6.0 MP 4
>
> I am using the ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES directive, with an exclude_list of "/". I
> have an include_list that specifies the mount points I want to back up.
>
> Does anyone have any suggestions that will help me to verify that I am in
> fact multiplexing the mount points to the tape drive during the backup?
>
> Any suggestions and feedback are welcome. Thank you for your help.
>
> Regards,
> Jeremy

On the drives themselves within the storage unit I set them to 32 (max) so
then in polices and what have you, you can set it to what you want
appropriately.

For your file list you should list the paths:
/path1
/path2
/path3

Then make sure MPX is enabled and set to the number you want.
Also make sure the maximum jobs per client is set high (50 or so) as well.

Do not use ALL_LOCAL_DRIVES unless you need to for some reason.

Justin.