Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Shared memory issue with Solaris 10

2008-07-24 02:01:55
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Shared memory issue with Solaris 10
From: Dominik.X.Pietrzykowski AT nab.com DOT au
To: Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2008 15:43:27 +1000

Steve,

You are right.

When you read the latest Symantec and SUN doco on this it tells you that all previous /etc/system recommendations are
now obsolete in Solaris 10.

I believe I have posted this before but to recap, Sol 10 boots with a 1/4 of physical memory assigned to shared memory.
All previous settings that I've seen do not come close to this on new systems. We are now talking GBs instead of MBs of old.
Therefore no one should need to touch this.

But here is a caveat, I have noticed that some systems running Sol 10 can experience shared memory like symptoms under
heavy load. But it is not the cause, it just looks like it and the following has solved the issue, but alas, it's an /etc/system entry that
SUN have tried to eliminate but is still used in Sol 10.

shmsys:shminfo_shmmni=512

Should be 512 or 1024, depends on how big the system is. I recommend reading the SUN doco if you need to play around with it.
But it may fix the issue if you see it. Just like below:

"the load increases (Schedule starts) backup start failing with error code 89"

regards,

Dominik

Steve Quan <sq01 AT yorku DOT ca>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

24/07/2008 01:20 AM

Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
cc
VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject
Re: [Veritas-bu] Shared memory issue with Solaris 10

We have Solaris10 master & media servers here without any changes to
/etc/system but I'm also interested in what others are doing.

/Steve
---
On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, Dave Markham wrote:

> I'd be interested in this too, as i'd heard you didnt need to bother
> with /etc/system tuning in Solaris 10.
>
> Cheers
>
> Justin Piszcz wrote:
>> On Wed, 23 Jul 2008, NBU wrote:
>>

>>> Hi forum,
>>>
>>> I have a Master and 3  media server on solaris 9 having Netbackup 6.0 MP4. Recently added new media server with solaris 10. Problem which i am facing is when the load increases (Schedule starts) backup start failing with error code 89.
>>>
>>> Experts need your help on this.
>>>
>>> thanks

>> Error 89 is shared memory problems, read the archive on how to fix that
>> for Solaris 10, generally you need to increase your SHMMAX value in the
>> kernel (Linux) in Solaris it has been awhile :)
>>
>> Justin.

National Australia Bank Ltd - ABN 12 004 044 937
This email may contain confidential information. If you are not the intended recipient, please immediately notify us at postmaster AT nab.com DOT au or by replying to the sender, and then destroy all copies of this email. Except where this email indicates otherwise, views expressed in this email are those of the sender and not of National Australia Bank Ltd. Advice in this email does not take account of your objectives, financial situation, or needs. It is important for you to consider these matters and, if the e-mail refers to a product(s), you should read the relevant Product Disclosure Statement(s)/other disclosure document(s) before making any decisions. If you do not want email marketing from us in future, forward this email with "unsubscribe" in the subject line to Unsubscriptions AT nab.com DOT au in order to stop marketing emails from this sender. National Australia Bank Ltd does not represent that this email is free of errors, viruses or interference.