Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Allocation Failure when doing bpimmedia NBU 5.0MP6

2008-07-16 15:48:44
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Allocation Failure when doing bpimmedia NBU 5.0MP6
From: Jim VandeVegt <vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com>
To: NetBackup Veritas <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2008 12:30:08 -0700 (PDT)
I am getting an allocation failure (only error reported) when attempting to run bpimmedia against individual media IDs.  Sometimes the command reports some image data before dumping the error, sometimes it does not. It usually takes several minutes before the error dumps out.

My environment is not particularly big. Images database is 16 GB as reported by du. Usually run about a 1000 jobs per night.

Solaris 8 master (Sun V240) running NBU 5.0MP6. I am executing the command on the server as root.

I have also received similar results when querying the same media from the Catalog section of the GUI.

I did a Google search for this and all I found was a reference to a bug fixed in V3.2. The bug was bprd would reach 256MB in size during a long restore and dump the error. (Sun patch 108261)

I tried right after a complete reboot ... no help.

Does not seem to affect all media, which is strange.

Would something under the guise of ulimit be at work here?  Or maybe /etc/system entries?

Some outputs:
# ulimit -Ha
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
open files                  4096
pipe size (512 bytes)       10
stack size (kbytes)         unlimited
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          4091
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

# ulimit -Sa
core file size (blocks)     unlimited
data seg size (kbytes)      unlimited
file size (blocks)          unlimited
open files                  512
pipe size (512 bytes)       10
stack size (kbytes)         8192
cpu time (seconds)          unlimited
max user processes          4091
virtual memory (kbytes)     unlimited

Jim VandeVegt
VandeVegt @t yahoo.com, Jim.VandeVegt @t PhysiciansMutual.com
Eliminate the IRS and put the fair consumption tax in place.
Visit http://www.fairtax.org/
"Quid quid latine dictum sit, altum videtur."