Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Device Strategy

2008-07-04 02:33:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Device Strategy
From: "Esson, Paul" <Paul.Esson AT Redstor DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 2008 07:14:50 +0100

Folks,

Could I ask the group for opinions on my device configuration strategy?

We have built a new 6.5.2 backup domain with a Solaris 10 Master (clustered over two nodes using VCS) plus 4 x Solaris 10 Media Servers and 2 x Windows Server 2003 Media Servers.

We also have 2 x Scalar i2000 tape libraries and 2 x EMC disk libraries.  Our intention is to share the 6 x LTO-4 drives from each tape library across the Master and all Media Servers.  With the disk libraries we have configured 2 x VTL on each disk library with 32 drives that is 4 x 32 = 128 drives.  The drives from each VTL have been distributed equally amongst the four Solaris Media Servers only such that each has 8 x drives from each of the four VTLs.

The reason for putting the robotic control on the cluster was to keep it highly available such that if we lost a Media Server then we would not have to reconfigure the robotic control onto another Media Server.  However, we have discovered that we can’t seem to get the wizard to configure the VTLs and their drives correctly.  At the moment, unless the robotic control is on a Media Server that has drives from that VTL associated all drives are configured with limitations such as “unable to determine robot type, robot drive number is unknown, etc.

Even on the Media Server with the robotic control the wizard will correctly configure only the drives directly presented to that host, the other Media Servers get drives configured with limitations too.  On the face of it to get this working correctly we would have to assign a VTL and all associated drives to each Media Server exclusively, but we really need to be able to distribute the drives.

We are going to try a manual configuration today and bypass the wizard.

Has anybody got hosts with robotic control only for a library?  Should this work?  But then again as I said above, even with robotic control for a VTL on a Media Server with drives, there are still configuration issues for the other Media Servers that share that VTL but with dedicated drives.

Regards,

Paul Esson
Redstor Limited

Direct:               +44 (0) 1224 595381
Mobile:          +44 (0) 7766 906514
E-Mail:          paul.esson AT redstor DOT com
Web:            www.redstor.com

REDSTOR LIMITED
Torridon House
73-75 Regent Quay
Aberdeen
UK
AB11 5AR

Disclaimer:
The information included in this e-mail is of a confidential nature and is intended only for the addressee.  If you are not the intended addressee, any disclosure, copying or distribution by you is prohibited and may be unlawful.  Disclosure to any party other than the addressee, whether inadvertent or otherwise is not intended to waive privilege or confidentiality.