Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration

2008-07-02 20:05:04
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Non-root administration
From: Kyle Oliver <k_f_o AT yahoo DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 2 Jul 2008 16:46:37 -0700 (PDT)
Let me start by saying that I have made many attempts to implement VxSS, with
extremely limited success.  I caution anyone who is considering implementing
VxSS in an existing environment.  I can almost promise you that the backups
will fail and you will pull some of your hair out.  The only times that I have
been successful with VxSS have been small lab environments where I implemented
it from the start.  Even then, the implementation is clear as mud.

I can also tell you that sudo and RBAC methods do not work to circumvent the
root requirement for NetBackup either.  The binaries are hard-coded to look for
root (uid 0) and they fail if the user running them is not root or uid 0.

Sorry to rain on your parade or likely confirm what you already know, but
NetBackup almost forces your hand to be root.

On a possible brighter note, some of the netbackup commands give data to
non-root users, though I will caution that we have seen cases that the output
is not the same for root and non-root users.  I would imagine that some of the
commands that you are looking for are root only though.  I believe that there
are ways to grant other users access to the GUI, but I have not tried this, as
I needed script/CLI access.

For any Symantec folks reading the list, I can assure you that granting
non-root access to users is much easier with competitive backup products that
will remain nameless.

-Kyle

------
On Wed, Jul 2, 2008 at 8:06 AM, Esson, Paul <Paul.Esson AT redstor DOT com>