Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] RESOLVED: Each stream uses different tape for RMAN 1-channel backup

2008-06-17 13:41:11
Subject: [Veritas-bu] RESOLVED: Each stream uses different tape for RMAN 1-channel backup
From: "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2008 13:14:13 -0400
I finally resolved this issue and the cause was something I never would
have suspected.  It turned out that my tape drives were flagged as
"needs cleaning", which apparently causes NBU to unload a tape
immediately after a stream is written and ignore any type of normal
unmount waiting period.  I reset the mount time on my drives to clear
the flag, and suddenly the same backup job used one tape.

I need to give credit to the folks on the Symantec forum for the solution:

https://forums.symantec.com/rss/message?board.id=21&message.id=41109

Bryan