Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Backing up Virtual Machines using NetBackup

2008-06-04 23:43:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Backing up Virtual Machines using NetBackup
From: "Jenner, Steven" <Steven.Jenner AT Intl.Telstra DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2008 20:39:17 +0100

Hi All,

We are implementing a VMWare environment with a mixture of Windows and Linux virtual servers. We currently backup our servers using NetBackup 5.1MP6 and would like to use it to backup the virtual machines and be able to restore both entire virtual machines and individual files within them.

I know you can utilize the standard client and backup the virtual machine as you would normally and you can use the VMWare client and backup the necessary vmdk files in order to restore the virtual machine. But ideally I would like to use one client to backup the virtual environment in it’s entirety but also have the ability to restore individual files within a virtual server.

Is this possible?

If it isn’t available with the current version we are using (5.1MP6) is it possible with any later versions?

If not how are other people backing up their virtual environments?

Apologies for the list of questions but I have little exposure to VMWare and would appreciate any pointers.

Thanks in advance,

Steve.