Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] FYI - Symantec made a change to their FTP(nolongerallows list)

2008-06-01 04:04:25
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] FYI - Symantec made a change to their FTP(nolongerallows list)
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 1 Jun 2008 03:39:55 -0400

Jonathan Martin said:

>I didn't say anything about hackers.  I said pirates.

I meant the same people you meant.  I just used a different word.  I was a bit drunk on jet lag after a 24 hour flight when I typed that response. ;)

>And if you don't think piracy is such a big deal how about posting your next book in .pdf

>format on your website for everyone to "purchase" via a paypal link?

>Now if you put that .pdf

>behind a simple login screen and only provide logins to people who have paid,

>that might go a little better for you, wouldn't it?  Is it impenetrable?

>No.  Can people find ways around it?  Sure.  Is it better than nothing?  Hell yeah.

First, my book IS available via PDF and it HAS already been hacked and available out there for free. In fact, I downloaded an illegal copy of my own book before I had the real book in my hand.  So please don’t suggest that I’m insensitive to this issue.  You’ll also find in my blog entry entitled “Friends/Family computer recommendations,” I tell them to make sure they pay for their own software.  I’m all about doing the right thing: http://www.backupcentral.com/content/view/153/47/

You said that they couldn’t put the software up there because pirates would download it and steal it.  A few points on this.

  1. Pirates already have it.  You can get every version of NBU and an unlimited license on warez sites.
  2. Once they come out with the new username/password system, usernames and passwords you can use will show up on warez sites.
  3. They don’t have the ORIGINAL software available via anonymous download; they only have patches that are worthless without the original software.

My only point is that I don’t think you can use a pirate argument to justify this move.

>"Real people" do their jobs by downloading a single copy of the software they need and keeping a local repository.

If it was a single file, that would be great.  A typical NBU client installation has dozens of files that have to be downloaded every time NBU releases a new version.

>I personally went to their website, registered some valid serial numbers, downloaded my software and haven't been back since.

What about updates?