Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2008 client

2008-05-28 14:33:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Windows 2008 client
From: mkgunderson AT mmm DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 13:14:04 -0500

From what I have heard (below), Windows 2008 x64 clients support will begin with 6.5.2.  As far as trying to run a Windows 2008 client on 5.1 MP4, I have not tried that since we migrated all of our masters and media servers to 6.5.1 and went to 6.0 MP5 from 5.1 MP5 before that.

Symantec Corporation intends to deliver support for Microsoft Windows Server 2008 in NetBackup 6.5.
Microsoft will launch Windows Server 2008 (WS2008) in late February 2008. For launch details, see
www.microsoft.com/windowsserver2008.

In 6.5.2, planned for CY2Q08, initial NetBackup support will include:
.. x64 client and agents for Exchange, SharePoint, and SQL Server
.. x64 media server for the majority of currently supported WS2003 x64 devices
.. x64 client support for Microsoft Cluster Server 2008
.. BasicDisk media server option
.. AdvancedDisk media server option
.. SSO – Shared Storage Option
.. NOM – NetBackup Operations Manager

In 6.5.3, planned for CY4Q08, additional NetBackup support will include:
.. x86 and IA-64 clients
.. x64 agents for DB2, Lotus Notes, SAP, Sybase, and Oracle
.. x64 snapshot client
.. x64 media server for any remaining x64 devices
.. x64 media server support for Microsoft Cluster Server 2008
.. x64 client and media server support for Veritas Cluster Server
.. NetBackup for VMware
.. SAN Client
.. SharedDisk media server option
.. NBAC – NetBackup Access Control
.. New – NetBackup agent for Hyper-V virtual machine protection
.. New – NetBackup agent for Active Directory

The NetBackup 6.5.x master server will not be available on WS2008. As always, the 6.5.x master server can
be any supported platform (Windows 2003, UNIX, Linux, etc.) and must be the same version as or newer than
the client and media server version.
The various NetBackup compatibility listings will be updated later regarding WS2008 support and posted at
http://go.symantec.com/nbu. See the “Compatibility List” menu and select version “6.5”.

Best Regards,

Michael K. Gunderson
Storage Analyst
3M Storage Management
Tel:  651-575-3410

Please remember those that served our country
"Man does not die until he is forgotten"

www.thefinalrollcall.us

----- Message from "Deiter, Scott" <scottd AT HanoverDirect DOT com> on Wed, 28 May 2008 12:34:37 -0400 -----
To:
<veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Subject:
[Veritas-bu] Windows 2008 client

We are still struggling with the upgrade from 5.1 mp4 to 6.5.

In the mean time.  Will a windows 2008 client run on version 5.1 mp4 ?

Scott Deiter
System Administrator
Hanover Direct, Inc.
Hanover, PA