Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers

2008-05-24 23:48:58
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers
From: "SIBLEY, Ken R. - ACCOR-NA" <Sibley_Ken AT accor-na DOT com>
To: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>, <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 22:25:10 -0500
That is a shame as this is a great opportunity for Disaster Recovery.
It would be very easy to have a media server at the DR location
and use a virtual machine for the master server on the same physical
box as the media server.

We are looking to do this using a Solaris Container with async replication
of our catalog so that it is up to date in the event of a disaster, but
no dedicated standby server is required.  It may not be supported, but
we think it will work and hope to test it this year.

This idea could be done with VM Ware (vm server/vm player), Virtual Iron,
Virtual Box, HP VM's, Solaris Containers, Solaris LDOMs, etc.

Ken