Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility

2008-05-21 17:38:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] ndmp cross-platform restore compatibility
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Staub, Doug" <rstaub AT amgen DOT com>, "A Darren Dunham" <ddunham AT taos DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 17:20:45 -0400
Since the format of the backup is not covered in the NDMP spec, each vendor was
free to create their own backup format -- and they did.  They each had the same
idea of using a "Unixy" format, and hacking it in some way to support Windows
ACLs.  While any two of them may have chosen the same original format (e.g.
dump/tar/cpio), each vendor hacked the format in their own way to be able to
store windows data.

Curtis Preston  |  VP Data Protection
GlassHouse Technologies, Inc.

T: +1 760 710 2004 |  C: +1 760 419 5838 |  F: F: +1 760 710 2009
cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com |  www.glasshouse.com
Infrastructure :: Optimized