Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Vault status 0 when max copies exceeded - 6.5.1

2008-05-21 11:23:38
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Vault status 0 when max copies exceeded - 6.5.1
From: "Bryan S. Leaman" <leaman AT bitbytes DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 10:54:36 -0400
I'm new to Vault, and I'm configuring our new 6.5.1 environment (to
replace our existing 3.4).  I'm using disk staging, and in one case the
Vault profile includes an image that is staged on disk and has also been
duplicated to tape via the DSSU schedule--so there are 2 copies
currently.  I understand that I should probably increase the global
setting "Maximum backup copies" from 2 to 3 in order to allow Vault to
proceed with duplication for offsite purposes.

However, what I don't understand is why the Vault job ends with status
0, even though it fails to duplicate the image.  The job log shows:

05/21/2008 09:55:33 - vault duplication validation of 1 images failed:
Maximum allowed copies will be exceeded
<vault catalog backup here>
the requested operation was successfully completed (0)

So I wouldn't know if an image is not duplicated by Vault because of
this limit, and therefore I would be missing this image in my offsite
backups.  Is this expected behavior, and if so, how would I detect this
"failure"?  Or am I using the wrong approach here?  Or is this a bug?

Thanks,

Bryan