Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] 6.5 -> 6.5.1 Upgrade on Linux

2008-05-19 14:38:45
Subject: [Veritas-bu] 6.5 -> 6.5.1 Upgrade on Linux
From: "Brooks, Jason" <brooksje AT longwood DOT edu>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 14:20:53 -0400
Last week, I upgraded my Windows master to 6.5.1.  When we ran the upgrade
on our Linux media server, we ran into problems and ended up rolling back.
Here's the specs and situation.

First of all, this server was happily running 6.5.  It's a RHEL3 AS Taroon
(Update 9) server.  The 6.5.1 update was kicked off and ran without any
reported issues.  However, when you started up netbackup via
bin/goodies/netbackup start, we were plagued with a whole host of error in
libstdc++.  The server is currently running compat-libstdc++-7.3-2.96.128
and compat-libstdc++-devel-7.3-2.96.128.  The request from support was to
install version 7.3-2.96.118.  We found that with dependencies, it would
give us a good deal of grief to go through and opted for a roll back.  It's
still happily running 6.5.

So, any ideas of why 6.5.1 wouldn't run on a Linux server that's running 6.5
now?  The tech could never give me an answer on why the libstdc++ libraries
worked with 6.5, but not 6.5.1.  And I heard of an etrack case on this, but
have seen nothing yet.

The case is still open, however, I've not heard anything since last week.
Since I opted for having a functioning environment, I think I've dropped
down the stack a good bit.

Jason
Jason Brooks
Sr. Computer Systems Engineer