Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Performance issues

2008-05-19 01:30:30
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Netbackup Performance issues
From: "WEAVER, Simon \(external\)" <simon.weaver AT astrium.eads DOT net>
To: <carrd AT ijet DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Mon, 19 May 2008 06:16:46 +0100
Hi
Well Exchange Mailbox Backups over the LAN (and I assume it is via the LAN as the Exchange Information store seems to report throughput based on this) does not surprise me.

I try to avoid Exchange Brick Level Backups (BLB) at all costs, where possible, because of the time and throughput it takes.

You do not say which version of Exchange Server you are running. Can you advise?

For the Win2k3 boxes, turn off any AV during the backup process, disable tracker.exe and any disk i/o tasks that may be running (disk keeper being one of them). Tracker running on a Windows box while the backup is going will not help.

If you are backing up millions of small files, then products like the NetBackup "Flash Backup" add on, may help here.

Also, how much Data are we talking about here for the Windows and Unix backups? 500+ GB's? or TB's

Simon