Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to get capacity or type of tape media

2008-05-14 09:55:14
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to get capacity or type of tape media
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "Kevin Miele" <kmiele01 AT gmail DOT com>, "Shyam Hazari" <shazari AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 09:30:38 -0400

Actual raw capacities are published for the different media types.  I wouldn’t waste NBU cycles attempting to determine it even if it could be done which I doubt.

Also note that most tapes have both uncompressed (“raw”) and compressed capacity numbers.   Assuming your drive does hardware compression you’d almost always want to be basing things on the compressed capacity number.