Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers

2008-05-14 09:18:23
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] VM Master / Media Servers
From: Bluejay AT fujigreenwood DOT com
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 14 May 2008 08:43:16 -0400
> > Is Symantec actually going to be supporting a Virtual Machine as a
> > Master or Media Server (San Media too), which can use SSO to share a
> > tape library?

> A recent exercise with VMware a few months ago brought to light that
> VMware does NOT support guest access to SAN-based tape drives, and has
> no plans to do so. Some fiddling around managed to get a guest to see
> such tape drives, but they did not work reliably at all.

> Do you happen to have any Technotes about this? or any forum links ?

Only what we were told by the HP and VMware support folks when we were
trying to come up with a backup solution for a proposed virtual 1tb file
server. We could not come up with any workable solution because of the
lack of SAN-attached tape drive support and the inability of the VMware
consolidated backup proxy to do multi-stream backups. Neither of these
bits of information were easy to get out of them.

                                                                      -
Bluejay Adametz

"People generally react to any new situation in one of four ways: AhA!...
Ho-hum...
Oy Vey!... and Yum, Yum. These illustrate the four basic states of
consciousness."
                                                       - David Brin, in
"Earth"