Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Multiplexing on VTL's

2008-04-30 15:04:53
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Multiplexing on VTL's
From: "Travis Kelley" <rhatguy AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 14:40:35 -0400
We recently purchased a VTL to backup some short retention backups to.
 The backups will expire on the VTL and will not be duplicated to tape
or anywhere else for that matter.  We also have capacity licensing so
we can create as many virtual tape drives as necessary.  I don't
believe multiplexing is necessary in a situation like this and that we
would be better off configuring enough tape drives to handle the
number of streams we need and turn multiplexing off.  Does anyone know
of any reason this logic would be flawed...and if not is there any
documentation out there to support that multiplexing is not a good
idea when using VTL's?