Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Virus Scanning on windows FS's.

2008-04-24 10:10:31
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Best Practice - Virus Scanning on windows FS's.
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: "Jason Slagle" <raistlin AT tacorp DOT net>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 09:44:53 -0400
Flip your Security Director off (aka carefully negotiate) a test period
where you disable virus scanning for a short window to try backing up
the data without your AV running.  We've done it here several times and
what you will most likely find is a small boost (on average 2-3MB/sec.)
The safe money IMO is on the fact that everyone's file server backups
tend to be slow because you've got a process crawling the data, which
takes forever.

To speed it up either:

1) Multi-stream backups / running multiple crawlers at the same time
2) Use flashbackup

Your exchange backups fly because you have a single contiguous block of
data (the database file) followed by (relatively speaking) large .log
files which are all in order.  If your file server was several large
database type files with only a few orderly and large log files you'd
probably get similar performance.

-Jonathan

PS: I <3 Security Directors