Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] How to regain disk space from failed backup to DSU

2008-04-18 09:59:17
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] How to regain disk space from failed backup to DSU
From: Norman_Ellis AT discovery DOT com
To: dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 09:39:43 -0400

If you manually delete anything from disk I would highly suggest running a bpimage -cleanup so that your catalog is consistent. This is suppose to happen automatically but you may want to look at the command guide for the specific options so that it doesn't take so long to complete i.e. specifying client name or backup ID. Also, depending on how you are backing up to disk, you may not be able to realize your space savings until your disk appliances complete a cleaning cycle. For example, if you are using Data Domain devices, simply deleting the images from disk will not give you back that space. You have to allow the devices to complete a full cleaning cycle which is a 10 phase process and let me tell you,,,,, it can take a LONG TIME!! This of course depends on the amount of data you are purging. For the specific case with Data Domain devices, we do not use them with the VTL option so while it would still be true that a cleaning cycle would still need to complete the time that takes may be different.

Can any other Data Domain users out there add any color here??

Dave Markham <dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net>
Sent by: veritas-bu-bounces AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu

04/18/2008 07:04 AM
Please respond to
dave.markham AT fjserv DOT net

Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy <anepomn AT gmail DOT com>
cc
veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Subject

Aleksandr Nepomnyashchiy wrote:
> Dear Gurus,
> My apologies - it is probably very simple question.
>
> Files from failed backup to Disk Storage Unit are taking space (which
> I need immediately for other backups). How I can reclaim the space
> back?
>
> Thank you,
> Aleksandr

Try expiring the image or crudely just deleting the image files from the
disk location

Own the landmark Planet Earth series on DVD!  Find more great gifts by shopping online at http://discoverystore.com

This e-mail, and any attachment, is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any review, re-transmission, copying, dissemination or other use of this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you received this in error, please contact the sender and delete the material from any computer. The contents of this message may contain personal views which are not the views of Discovery Communications, LLC.