Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?

2008-04-15 16:26:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Master Server on a SUN Thumper?
From: "Curtis Preston" <cpreston AT glasshouse DOT com>
To: "Weber, Philip" <Philip.Weber AT egg DOT com>, <Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 15:54:17 -0400

Put a VTL in front of it.  The way VTLs lay data down on disk is more efficient than the way NBU writes data to a filesystem.  The latter will cause fragmentation over time and the former will not.

There are a number of companies that will sell you a VTL head or software you can put in your own head, that you can then put in front of your Cx array.  (EMC will not, BTW. They will want you to buy the CDL/EDL, which is prepackaged.)

---

W. Curtis Preston

Backup Blog @ www.backupcentral.com

VP Data Protection, GlassHouse Technologies