Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR - TFTP & DHCP

2008-04-10 03:24:19
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] BMR - TFTP & DHCP
From: Vaikar Amol <amol_vaikar AT yahoo DOT com>
To: James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org>, Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 00:10:22 -0700 (PDT)
8. Client sends the TFTP request to the Boot server and gets the first file for booting.

Does this answer your question?

For more details, you could take a look at:

HTH,
Amol.

James Pattinson <jamesp AT hisser DOT org> wrote:
Hi All

Been playing with BMR on Solaris & Windows, and both seem to work
impressively well.

My issue is with the PXE booting on the Windows side - it works, but I
have no idea how it's working. I have a UNIX DHCP server on my network,
that's handing out IP addresses, but not TFTP server information.

How is my newly-booted client getting the address of the TFTP server?

I am trying to understand this to be able to turn around to my customer
and tell that what the procedure will be in *their* network.

Cheers,

James

Hi,

AFAIK, when one installs BMR BOOT Server on windows and configures the PXE service using the BMR-Boot Server Assistant, a ProxyDHCP service and a TFTP service gets configured on the Boot server.

After that, I believe this is the way it works:
1. DHCP discover is broadcasted from client, asking for IP address and PXE boot server.
2. DHCP offer from DHCP server, offers IP address and other network configuration settings. In your case, the Linux based DHCP server is doing this.
3. DHCP offer from the ProxyDHCP server running on your windows boot server, *offers* PXE boot server address.
4. DHCP request from client to DHCP server, requesting IP address.
5. DHCP acknowledge message from DHCP server.
6. DHCP request from client to the ProxyDHCP server server, requesting the boot server address.
7. DHCP acknowledge message from ProxyDHCP server. This acknowledgment contains the address to the Boot Server (which would be the address of itself) and the first file that the client needs to send a TFTP request for so as to start the boot process.