Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores and Multiple data streams

2008-04-09 17:50:29
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Flashbackup restores and Multiple data streams
From: "Leidy, Jason D" <Leidy.Jason AT con-way DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:39:19 -0700

We use the Flashbackup feature of the Advanced Client to backup several of our Windows 2003 file servers (5.1 MP6). We just finished up a DR test and recovered all of the servers, however the restore times were less than desirable. For instance, Server A has 6 drives that get backed in less than 10 hours total (600GB, about 800,000 files)…..all of the drives start getting backed up at the same time (I’m assuming this is because we use the “allow multiple data streams” option). However, in our DR test the restore of Server A only restores 1 volume at a time……this adds up to 32 – 36 hours before the server is completely available (6 drives to restore). I’ve read through the Advanced Client guide and can’t find an explanation for why the restore only does 1 drive at a time. The other tapes aren’t in use, we have tape drives available. It does this for every Flashbackup restore.

Any ideas\explanations?

Jason