Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] De-DUP question

2008-04-09 17:44:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] De-DUP question
From: "Scott Jacobson" <SJACOBSO AT novell DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:32:27 -0600
I agree with Tom.

With the below:

To improve backup, a company needs to address the whole ecosystem, Balaouras notes, rather than addressing individual components of a storage strategy. She adds that one important step is to eliminate point products by choosing applications that have consolidated functionality. Rather than cobbling together a number of software apps, an enterprise should opt for a "data protection suite" that not only manages backups but also includes other data protection options.

is similar to my current mind set ii deciding how to integrate a de-dup solution into my current environment.

I like the PureDisk idea and the fact you also can have PureDisk Agent based de-duplication. Implementing these features keeps it under the "Symantec Umbrella" of products, thus keeping support costs down in terms of less rather than many service vendors.

But I also like the Quantum DXi 7500 idea.  A Virtual Tape Library which also does de-duplication and integrates into Veritas very nicely is also an attractive approach I'm considering as well.

Scott

>>> tburrell <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com> 4/9/2008 2:34 PM >>>

Sorry, but I don't think it's realistic to find ONE best answer.  Heck- we can't even all agree about one "best way" to configure Netbackup all by itself.  There are just too many variables.

You're going to have to look at what we all have said and make  a decision based on what's best for you.  And do some testing.

Tom