Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] User Archiving Issue

2008-04-09 14:43:24
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] User Archiving Issue
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2008 14:18:19 -0400
> I have an issue that I created a User Archive Policy for
> a system that accumulates huge logs to clear up space several
> times a day for that group when they need to run the job.
>
> In my Backup selection I have created /tmp/test for testing
> purposes.  The job works fin but then I tested on a directory
> not specified in the backup selection such as /tmp/good_data
> and the Archive still completed.
>
> Any idea why it didn't fail when the backup selection didn't
> match the policy?

The selection list of a policy has nothing to do with a user backup or
archive; you specify the files to be backed up with the "filenames" or
"-f ___" arguments to bpbackup (or the BAR GUI).

Whether you specify the -p[olicy] and -s[chedule] parameters or let
NetBackup find the client in a policy with a User schedule by default,
the selection list isn't used.  The User schedule exists to control
users' ability to do User backups/archives and control the resources
used--but the object of the backup or archive, the data, is up to the
user and filesystem access and permissions.

References are the man pages for bpbackup and bparchive in the NetBackup
Commands manual, and the little bits of explanation in the NetBackup
System Administrator's Guide Volume 1.