Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Measuring redundant backup data

2008-04-08 22:20:39
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Measuring redundant backup data
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 22:04:44 -0400
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 5:57 PM, Jeff Lightner <jlightner AT water DOT com> wrote:
I don't know a way to measure how much is "redundant" easily.  Maybe the
much vaunted Aptare would have that - I'll wait for their fan club to
comment on that.  :-)

Not a chance - Aptare just gets job status and doesn't ever see the backup data.

So far it appears to us the deduplication devices are living up to or
exceeding expectations.

That's purely site specific.  With PureDisk backing up our remote sites, I think we're under 5:1 but we're still building up the generation count.  When we pointed some of larger main campus data at it, it wasn't even that high - nowhere near high enough to justify the cost.

Some vendors will let you eval you a unit - that's the only way to know how well you're going to dedupe because it is so client specific.  If you have a ton of application servers with mostly OS and little application, you're going to de-dupe extremely well.  If you have 1 file server full of TIFF data that never stays around very long, you won't de-dupe well at all.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org