Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups

2008-04-08 22:16:00
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Clarification About Open File Backups
From: "Ed Wilts" <ewilts AT ewilts DOT org>
To: "Rosenkoetter, Gabriel" <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2008 21:56:02 -0400
On Tue, Apr 8, 2008 at 4:26 PM, Rosenkoetter, Gabriel <Gabriel.Rosenkoetter AT radian DOT biz> wrote:
I believe that I'm still correct when I say that VSP is the default
library used, however, even on OS versions that NetBackup knows support
VSS. I hope that'll change, since having to manually flip over to VSS
for every new client is an extra step (that other admins in our
organizations may forget, causing later irritation), but that's how
things are now.

You won't believe how many times I've reminded the engineering teams to get this right and just get rid of that #$%^ VSP!  It's just pure evil and with 6.5, there was absolutely no excuse to still make it the default snapshot provider for a fresh client install.

The default is still to *install* VSP, even on Windows 2003 clients.  Do a custom install, uncheck VSP, and it all just magically works.  This has the added bonus of not requiring reboots whenever you later update the client.

--
Ed Wilts, Mounds View, MN, USA
mailto:ewilts AT ewilts DOT org