Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about NBU

2008-04-02 10:16:34
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Top 20 (or so) misunderstood things about NBU
From: "Martin, Jonathan" <JMARTI05 AT intersil DOT com>
To: <VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2008 09:51:11 -0400
Hence the "quick start guide."  Thankfully most software vendors seem to have "caught on."  i.e.  I don't want to read 800 pages of technical nonsense, most of which I may never need, to get their product's basic functionality working.  Sure, sure when I want to go configuring Oracle or SAP or SharePoint I need to peruse that length document for technical assist but I don't have that kind of time if all I want to do is run a simple backup on Windows or Linux or whatever.  This is backup software, and I want to do backups with it.  If I wanted a fortnight's read I'd have taken an English class.  Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that a competent admin doesn't need to be familiar with the ends and out of a product.  But if you are just taking a new software for a "test drive" then why all the hassle?  I never put anything into production without kicking its tires a few times in dev, and what happens if in Dev I found out the product isn't going to meet muster?  I regret all the time spent reading their )!*&#$^ admin guide instead of playing with my wife / kids / Halo 3 / what have you.

Just my $.02

-Jonathan