Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Is NBU v6.5.1 stable?

2008-03-28 09:36:03
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Is NBU v6.5.1 stable?
From: parsonsa <netbackup-forum AT backupcentral DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 2008 09:12:18 -0400
We deployed it in non prod with no issues but in production where we have a lot
more data it has been nothing short of disasterous.

Since we have imported all the old catalogue we can't go back without
sacrificing everything we do have backed up, so we're in a 'fix and fall
forward' state now. I can't go into too many specifics without disclosing too
much information about my client, but lets just say that if you have 20-60Tb
filesystems or databases just don't touch it, stay at 5.1 or wherever you are
if it's working, until I post that we have a working patch! We've had problems
with the resource broker (nbrb) deallocating orphaned resources at tape span,
which is deadly if you're backing up using a DB agent as it means you start
again (not fun if you have multi Tb databases). We've had binary patches out of
symantec to address this but we're on patch no 3 now and still no joy.
Obviously we could be an edge case but you have been warned :)

Solaris 8/10 Master clustered, Solaris 8/10 Media Servers (10+), IBM 3494 18
drives, Hcart2