Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 Master Server hangs...many bpdbm process running

2008-03-25 12:19:57
Subject: [Veritas-bu] NBU 6.0 Master Server hangs...many bpdbm process running
From: "Sponsler, Michael" <Michael.Sponsler AT ngc DOT com>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 10:36:15 -0500

Master Server : Netbackup 6.0 MP5 Solaris 10 on a SunFire v440 with 4x
1593 Mhz UltraSparc IIIi CPU's and 16 GB of RAM.

I do have roughly 55 Media Servers, and a couple dozen clients on my
Netbackup Domain.  All are Netbackup 6.0 MP5.

What I'm seeing is that my Master server will have many bpdbm processes
running.  All four of my CPU's get pegged out and the system hangs.
Ultimately it becomes unresponsive and it needs to be shut down.

All of my Media Servers run Oracle, and I have to do hourly Oracle
Archive Log backups (contractual agreement).

Why would so many bpdbm processes be running, and why would they need to
suck up all of the processing power?  Does each backup spawn a bpdbm
process?  I have 70 Active backup jobs running right now, and 40 bpdbm
processes running.   Is it normal for that many bpdbm processes to be
running?

--
Mike Sponsler
Northrop Grumman Information Technology