Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding Linux to NetBackup Environment as a Master andMedia Server.

2008-03-25 10:11:36
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Adding Linux to NetBackup Environment as a Master andMedia Server.
From: "Jeff Lightner" <jlightner AT water DOT com>
To: "ZIMMER, RANDY K [AG/1000]" <randy.k.zimmer AT monsanto DOT com>, <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 09:35:43 -0400

We don’t use Linux for Master or Media server but do use it for quite a bit including a couple of Oracle RAC installations.

My recommendation would to use RedHat if you’re doing Linux.   There are far more commercial packages for RHEL than SLES.   (Also from a Linux purist viewpoint Novell/Suse is shunned because of the agreement they signed with M$.)   Haven’t worked on SLES so don’t know that it is better or worse technically but haven’t seen any reason to go to it either.

The fibre HBAs we use are the ones made by Qlogic.   I had an issue with Emulex in a test environment once but it may be that was because I was trying to setup a test environment to look like the Production one that already had.