Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Linux systems not following NFS

2008-03-23 15:27:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Linux systems not following NFS
From: "Staub, Doug" <rstaub AT amgen DOT com>
To: "veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu" <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2008 12:13:23 -0700
Jimmy,

FWIW, I am running NBU 5.1 MP6, so I am not up to speed yet on wht 6.x
contains, but we have Linux Media Srvs (RHEL 4) we use as clients to backup NFS
shares (you should be able to use any Linux client to backup an NFS share as
long as the permissions allow it).  Check to see that the policy type should be
"Standard" and in the policy definition "Follow NFS" is also checked.

We process a large amount of data in the above configuration, however, we have
found that RHEL 4 (using autofs version 4) has some problems in that the
/net/<share location> can become stale over time and require a restart of
autofs and/or a reboot of the Linux client!  The issue is that autofs 4 likes
to "walk" the path/tree in such a way that it is cached for some time (the
thought is that it will not have to re-walk the tree and be able to serve data
faster) - I suspect that autofs gets hosed if there are successive/multiple
requests and it cannot service the requests fast enough.  On the other hand,
using Solaris will avoid this mess altogether and if possible, try to direct
NFS traffic over a Solaris 10 host instead of Linux. I have been told the above
issue is fixed in RHEL 5 (with autofs version 5), but I am more apt to believe
that Solaris 10 will handle this traffic in a more stable manner.  My $.02.

Thanks,
Doug