Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] lto4 fc bottleneck

2008-03-21 09:49:47
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] lto4 fc bottleneck
From: Jim VandeVegt <vandevegt AT yahoo DOT com>
To: VERITAS-BU AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 2008 06:30:22 -0700 (PDT)
Yes, because your HBA is 1 giga-BIT per second, not 1 giga-byte.  A 1 Gbps connection will clear at best 100-110 MBps. If you want to spin LTO4 drives at close to full speed put at most 2 LTO4 drives per modern 4 Gbps FC ports. If you are getting good hardware compression at the drive even that could be a bottleneck. And you have to have a server capable of driving that kind of data rate too.

Jim VandeVegt
VandeVegt @t yahoo.com, Jim.VandeVegt @t PhysiciansMutual.com
Eliminate the IRS and put the fair consumption tax in place.
Visit http://www.fairtax.org/