Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Status 96 media allocation issues

2008-03-18 13:35:35
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Status 96 media allocation issues
From: <Mark.Donaldson AT cexp DOT com>
To: <jeff.cleverley AT avagotech DOT com>, <pkeating AT bank-banque-canada DOT ca>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2008 11:08:02 -0600
Still, all you should have to do is "bpexpdate" the tape number and the
tape should be reusable.

deassignbyid is a bit of a big hammer to use casually.  I'd do:

bpexpdate -d 0 -m <tapenum> -force
..then a...
bpexpdate -deassignempty -m <tapenum> -force
..this'll make the tape available sooner..

It's cleaner and you're not stomping about in the database with big
boots.

By the way, bpexpdate has a "-force" option that expires the tape
without asking confirmation - no need to echo "y" into it.

Loaded every tape, then requested a new one? I've seen this on
write-protected tapes and on physical drive errors.  If it loads the
tape, finds it unusable for some reason, it'll dump it and request a new
one.  Did some enthusiastic tape monkey write-protect all your tapes?

-M