Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] "Successful" NDMP Backups Missing Data

2008-03-14 19:40:44
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] "Successful" NDMP Backups Missing Data
From: A Darren Dunham <ddunham AT taos DOT com>
To: Veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 23:29:58 +0000
On Fri, Mar 14, 2008 at 10:11:33AM -0400, Martin, Jonathan wrote:
> Personally, I'm appauled that there seems to be no better communication
> between the filer and Netbackup about the backup status and that NBU
> just assumes everything's 100% hunky dory.

What could NBU (or any other backup package) do differently here?
Unless the appliance says "something's wrong!", then the backup server
is in the dark.

> We use the activty monitor and BPDBJOBS in a NUMBER of scripts to
> monitor completion.  I think its unreasonable to assume the storage
> guys need to check their filer logs every week to make sure their
> backups are complete.

I agree.  It's also unreasonable for an NDMP host to do an incomplete
job during the backup and declare success.

> This may be an excuse for me to write the script I've been planning
> that measures job success on how much data was backed up (compared to
> the trend.)  For this weekend we're going to backup the data via NFS
> mount on another server.  Stoopid NAS.

Not a bad idea.  I have a lot of servers that go up and down in capacity
frequently, so pure trend lines just don't exist for them.  I'm forced
to trust the backups and the spot restore tests we run...