Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Re-directed Oracle RMAN restores.

2008-03-13 21:55:38
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Re-directed Oracle RMAN restores.
From: "Mellor, Adam A." <Adam.Mellor AT woodside.com DOT au>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2008 10:37:59 +0900
ditto, Been using the altnames since 4.5,

We have dev db servers that routinely get "refreshed" from the prod db,
so we have the altnames setup so the dev servers can only restore images
from the prod db server.

Use it for RMAN, SAP & Exchange. For file stuff, we just use the admin
console.

>>From our internal Wiki:
Altnames AKA Restoring backups to Alternate Clients
First point, From the Netbackup Admin GUI (With Backup/Recovery
Privilages) ANy Admin can restore to Any server.

To Restore From The Client, an Image created from a different host, You
need to enable Altnames (Full Details in NBU 6.5 Admin Guide 1 Pg673)

Basically, Create a touch file in /db/altnames/ named with the client
name (as configured in dns and bp.conf file on the client). This lets
that client restore any images from any server. For more security you
can put into the file the client names for backups that client will need
to restore.

    * Generally we do not like doing this, so, when possible remove any
of these touch files you can.
          o Some Exceptions are the test/dev Database boxes as the DBA's
reguarly perform "refreshes" of the production databases.
    * Do Not, where possible allow any Production Database server have a
file left in this location. we do not want to "allow" production
databases to be overwritten with test data.

Adam.