Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] Re-directed Oracle RMAN restores.

2008-03-13 10:35:27
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] Re-directed Oracle RMAN restores.
From: Robert Griffin <rmg AT ua DOT edu>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2008 09:03:03 -0500
We've used it (6.0MP4), and it pretty much works as advertised
except that we have not had to change the target's client name
to read the source's backups (yay!). You could probably still
initiate restores from the master and direct them wherever you
wanted, but it is more convenient to be able to do it directly
in RMAN.

altnames are one more thing to remember when you rename a client,
and I always have to look up which way the restrictions work when
updating them. For our test DB box to be allowed to read backups
of the production DB, we have something like this:

# cat /opt/openv/netbackup/db/altnames/test-db-box.ua.edu
prod-db-box.ua.edu

Note this has no effect on which media server reads the media
during a restore, just which clients can have the data. If your
DB servers are also SAN media servers you may find it useful to
reassign media.

Robert Griffin
Unix Systems Administrator
OIT, Enterprise Technology