Veritas-bu

Re: [Veritas-bu] DR testing Solution and Plan

2008-03-06 19:46:15
Subject: Re: [Veritas-bu] DR testing Solution and Plan
From: "bob944" <bob944 AT attglobal DOT net>
To: <veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu>
Date: Thu, 6 Mar 2008 19:34:17 -0500
> and to restore critical data using our DR site across the
> street.

Realizing that this wasn't your point in writing, but... a DR site
_across the street?_

> The problem is that the DR site is not a match of
> the Production site.
>
> Production site
> NB 6.0 Master
> 6 media servers
>
> DR site
> NB 6.0 Master
> No media servers
>
> I cannot restore the hot catalog because it is trying to locate those
> media servers in the database and bombs out.

Why/how?  Your prod media servers aren't still 5.x, are they?

> I restored the cold catalog but since we do not delete anything the
> catalog is huge (198 GB's)
>
> Restoring either catalog is going to take hours because of
> the size and trying to rebuild the catalog everyday doesn't
> make sense just to restore current data of one of our
> critical systems.

Correct; that makes no sense at all.  NetBackup's catalog recovery
process is designed to recover a complete NetBackup domain.  If all you
want to do is replicate the catalog across the street every day, rsync
it (or similar).  You're not recovering, you're just updating a
hot-spare system, seems to me.