Veritas-bu

[Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5

2008-03-04 11:11:19
Subject: [Veritas-bu] Lets hear about your upgrade experience! 5.x - 6.5
From: "Tony T." <rollthebones AT gmail DOT com>
To: veritas-bu AT mailman.eng.auburn DOT edu
Date: Tue, 4 Mar 2008 09:32:11 -0600
Hi all,

I am interested in hearing about any of the upgrades that you have done, mainly going from 5.x to 6.5
There seem to be quite a few environments (in my area) that are looking to upgrade, and I am putting together some documentation
that asks questions to better prepare for it.  I am still learning the ropes of NBU but I have a lot of experience with the server side
of things especially Sun and AIX systems with SAN storage.

I have the Symantec upgrade guide "Upgrading to Veritas Netbackup 6.5" and it appears to be pretty detailed, but it just covers the steps to get from point A to point B.
Some of the things I am interested in finding out:

- is there anyway to estimate how long step X might take?  I realize that there are so many variables that  it is not possible to say  "popluating the EMM will take X hours" but
if enough people chime in on what their experience was like, maybe we can come up with  an average

- have there been any show stoppers that were unanticipated?  We could all learn from this, knowing what questions to ask up front based on our past...er...challenges.  NBU has so many options and is such a broad product that I doubt any two environments are identical.

Just sort of brain storming here, looking forward to hearing (seeing?) what you all have to share.  If we get a good dialog going I will attempt to compile it into something usable
and post it back here.

T.

--
  )